Historical Markers of Huntsville and Madison County, Alabama
The Alabama Historical Association began formulating a program to better publicize historical sites and make them more accessible to the general public. A distinctive metal highway marker design was adopted by the committee and the first Alabama Highway marker was erected in 1947.
In 1951, the newly formed Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society assisted the Acme Club in erecting its first historical marker in Huntsville to commemorate Andrew Jackson's encampment on his way to Horseshoe Bend. On August 16, 1953, the Society sponsored its first Alabama Historical Association marker, marking the site of the formation of Madison County in 1808. This marker is located on the Northeast corner of the Courthouse Square in Huntsville. Since that time, we have ensured that Madison County residents and visitors alike are made aware of the many interesting and historically significant sites in the area.
Over the past 57 years, we have been responsible for the erection of 75 metal historical markers in Huntsville and Madison County. The Marker Committee currently has approximately 25 proposed sites on its list awaiting research and funding.
Among Huntsville-area places of interest are:
Veterans Memorial Museum
– 2060A Airport Road – www.memorialmuseum.org
Burritt on the Mountain – A Living Museum
– 3101 Burritt Drive – www.burrittmuseum.com
EarlyWorks Children’s Museum
– 404 Madison Street – www.earlyworks.com
– 109 Gates Avenue – www.earlyworks.com/the-museums/constituon-village
Historic Huntsville Depot
Harrison Brothers Hardware
– 124 Southside Square – www.harrisonbrothershardware.com
Huntsville Botanical Garden
– 4747 Bob Wallace Avenue – www.hsvbg.org
Monte Sano State Park
– 5105 Nolen Avenue – www.alapark.com
U.S. Space & Rocket Center and Davidson Center for Space Exploration
– One Tranquility Base – www.spacecamp.com/museum
UAH Exhibit “Dora and the V-2: Slave Labor in the Space Age”
– on display in the University Center, through March 12. This exhibit received major funding from the Alabama Humanities Foundation and was organized by the art and art history departments and the College of Liberal Arts at UAH. www.dora.uah.edu
The Scottsboro Boys Museum
, a little farther afield, at Joyce Chapel United Methodist Church, 412 West Willow Street, Scottsboro, featuring educational material concerning the historical case which led to two groundbreaking rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court: the right to legal counsel and the right to equal protection under the law. The case is considered by many to be the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement. The museum does not yet appear to have its own web site, but an internet search yields several sites with further information.